- The key to a Dress Watch is simplicity.
- Worn with business suits or formal attire.
- Not necessarily concerned about accurate time.
- Should not draw a lot of attention.
- Should match metals and materials with shoes and belts.
- The band should typically be leather.
- A thin case.
- Black, white or metallic face.
- Simplistic numbers
- Battlefield ready
- The most important thing about a field watch is that they must be rugged.
- Traditionally made of stainless steel, however today they may be made with titanium or PVD-coated.
- Field watches should be visible under low light conditions
- Large numbers with high contrast to the face
- White numbers and black face typically
- Quality leather or canvas bands.
- These watches are meant to be worn on a daily basis through all types of rough conditions.
- The Aviator Watch began as repurposed field watches with the accuracy, and readability.
- As time went on, air forces the world over developed these watches with functions that fit their specific aviation needs.
- Have a chronograph and 2 push buttons one to start/stop the first hand and another to start/stop the second hand.
- The band can be made of different materials than the typical field watch such as leather or even metals as they are not necessarily for field situation.
- Dive watches are one of the most prolific watches.
- Dive watches have to be incredibly accurate because their main purpose is for divers that are hundreds of feet under water with a limited supply of air.
- Bezel that only rotates counter-clockwise.
- Case and bands must be corrosion resistant.
- Must be water resistant to at least 100 meters, many offer even greater distances of resistance.
- Made from:
- Stainless steel
- Racing Watches tend to be much flashier than the previously mentioned watches.
- They can be made of many different materials and come in many different colors.
- The more flashy the watch the more casual the watch becomes.
- Racing Watches should include a chronograph and a tachymeter.
- Chronograph is a stop watch function with pushers to start and stop the hands
- Tachymeter is a bezel that is used to make distance and time calculations.
These are all great watches in their own right and I believe no collection is complete without at least one of each. If you are in the market for a new watch then check out my review blog here.